A blocked-up oculus, The Old Gaol, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, Wales
Can this cockpit hold
The prisoners of Wales? or may we cram
Within this stony O the very dregs
That did affright the air at Haverford?
The former town prison was built in 1820 within the castle’s inner bailey. It was designed to hold a maximum of 86 prisoners and debtors, remaining in use until 1878.
Ten years short of its second centenary the council declared it surplus to requirements as a building to hold its archives, and more recently plans were afoot to sell it to private enterprise for conversion into — ghastly term — a ’boutique hotel’.